Why Risk It?
There is no "drowsiness test" to measure how sleepy you feel. And research shows that we often overestimate our level of alertness. So you may be drowsier than you think you are!
Tricks Don't Work.
Turning the radio up or rolling down the windows may help for a few minutes if you are drowsy. But it will not keep you from falling asleep in the driver's seat.
Signs Of Drowsy Driving.
- Yawning constantly
- Unable to keep your eyes open
- Restlessness and irritability
- Nodding off
- Daydreaming wandering thoughts
- Drifting into other lanes
- Can't remember the last few miles
- Ending up too close to cars in front
- Missing road signs
- Driving past turns
- Moving onto the 'rumble strip' or road shoulder.
How Do I Prevent Drowsy Driving ?
- Plan ahead by taking a afternoon nap before driving late at night.
- Have some caffeine and then wait 30 minutes for it to take effect before driving.
- take a taxi or bus, or call home for a ride, instead of driving when you are tired.
- Switch drivers if another alert driver is with you.
- If sleepy pull over in a safe place and take a 20 minute nap, then walk around to wake up before driving.
Don't Drive After Taking A Medication That Causes Drowsiness, And Never Drink And Drive!